Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Recycled and Altered Can

I made this from a plain old empty vegetable can.
These are the steps I took to make this little can. First wash and dry the can thoroughly. Tap a small hole in the top on opposite sides for the wire handle. Paint the can with a base or matte paint. After that is dry spray with whatever color spray paint you like. Choose your graphic print and cut out or use a premade graphic. I like to spray my ink jet printed graphic with clear Krylon Fixatif to set the ink and keep it from bleeding. You can use a graphic from a magazine or where ever you find one you like. I like to print them on sticker paper so they are easy to attach to the can. Stick or glue the graphic to the can. You can use the sticker paper, glue, or mod podge to attach it to the can. I then coat several light coats of mod podge over this or you can use a clear spray varnish to finish it. After this is thoroughly dry, attach the handle and any other embellishments you like. This makes a cute little holder for different items.
You can turn it into a gift can, candy container, candle holder or a variety of other uses.


©jp2008_________click photo to enlarge


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great site. My grandmother used to be into doing crafts. My grandfather died just recently and she hasn't know what to do with herself. I can't wait to show her your blog!

Welcome! said...

I love your blog! I also love recycling (anything I can), and this has rubbed off onto my girls as well. This tin can idea is amazing - I am definitely going to try it.